Sen. Francis Escudero speaks out on the killing of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos

By Media Newser Philippines | Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Screenshot: GMA-7/CNN Philippines
"Kung totoo ang lahat ng alegasyon ng testigo laban sa mga pulis, hindi lang abusadong mga pulis 'yan, kriminal ang mga pulis na 'yan," Senator Francis Escudero said Monday on the recent killing of Kian delos Santos, a 17-year-old boy who was shot dead by the police in an Oplan Galugad operation in Caloocan last week.

Speaking to Unang Hirit anchor Ivan Mayrina, Escudero said that he and his fellow lawmakers would want to get to the bottom of what really happened when they open a Senate investigation on Thursday, August 24.

Kathy San Gabriel joins Panahon TV

By Media Newser Philippines | Friday, August 18, 2017
Photo: Kathy San Gabriel
Former People's Television Network anchor Kathy San Gabriel has joined Panahon TV as its new senior correspondent.

In a Facebook post published on Thursday, the weather content provider announced that San Gabriel will be leading its new weekly segment titled Panahon TV Reports.

In her new role, the veteran broadcaster will be covering stories on disaster risk reduction, agriculture, sustainable development, and scientific breakthroughs.

"I am happy and honored to be part of Panahon TV as their Senior Correspondent," San Gabriel said in a statement to Media Newser Philippines. "It is an exciting time to join the Panahon TV team as they're celebrating their 5th anniversary next month and with that, they plan to expand their programming."

NUJP stands by Ted Failon and ABS-CBN colleagues; asks Francis Tolentino to drop libel suit

By Media Newser Philippines | Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Screenshot: ABS-CBN
The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines has thrown its support behind Ted Failon and his ABS-CBN colleagues after a local court in Tagaytay City ordered their arrest on Tuesday for a libel suit filed by former Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino.

In a statement Wednesday, NUJP said that it "stands squarely" with the Kapamilya news anchor and his Failon Ngayon team, saying that the defamation suit filed against them "underscores how onion-skinned government officials wield the antediluvian criminal libel law as a bludgeon in their vain hope to cow critical journalism into silence."

Ted Failon posts bail for libel case filed by former MMDA Chair Francis Tolentino

By Media Newser Philippines | Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Screenshot: ABS-CBN
ABS-CBN anchor Ted Failon and three other Kapamilya staffers on Tuesday, August 15, posted bail following an arrest warrant for libel issued by a local court in Tagaytay City.

The defamation case filed against them by former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino stemmed from a report aired on Failon's weekend public affairs program, Failon Ngayon.

The televised report, which aired in December 2016, looked into MMDA's alleged questionable purchase of secondhand motorcycles used during Pope Francis' apostolic visit in 2015.

Arnold Clavio marks 30th year in the news industry with a book

By Media Newser Philippines | Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Photo: Mindmaster Publishing Inc.
For 30 years now, Arnold Clavio has been doing exactly what he wanted to do when he first joined the industry in 1987.

During his long career in broadcasting, Igan (as what most viewers call him) has anchored and hosted a number of programs for GMA-7 — Unang Hirit, Saksi, Alisto, Tonight with Arnold Clavio — while retaining his presence on radio via DZBB.

Now, at 51, Igan is celebrating his 30th year in the business by launching his own book titled Iskets, Piktyur At Tula: Igan @30 (published by Mindmaster Publishing Inc.), a collection of poetry and artworks from the anchorman himself.

“Ito ay nabuo bilang pasasalamat ko rin sa Panginoon na 30 taon na nag­lilingkod ako sa propesyong napili ko. Salamat sa talent na ibinigay ng nasa taas,” Igan said in a recent interview. “Nagkaroon ng social media, technology, bagong applications, mas naging madali nang i-express kung ano man ang nasa loob.”

ANC's TV special and interview with former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to air this month

By Media Newser Philippines | Monday, August 14, 2017
Photo: ABS-CBN
ANC, the ABS-CBN News Channel, will be airing a TV special on the "Forum on Global Governance & World Economy, An ANC Leadership Series" featuring Madeleine Albright on Wednesday (August 16) at 8PM. Karen Davila's exclusive interview with former U.S. secretary of state will also be shown the following week on August 23, 8am on "Headstart with Karen Davila," also on ANC and ANC HD.

This Wednesday's TV special will include the full speech of Dr. Albright, as well as the open forum moderated by Davila in the event held last July 19 at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Grand Ballroom, where over 400 business leaders and diplomats gathered to listen and learn from Albright, including Department of Foreign Affairs secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, US ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella, and Rep. Pia Cayetano, as well as ABS-CBN executives led by network president and CEO Carlo Katigbak and ABS-CBN News head and ANC managing director Ging Reyes.

Full press release after the jump...

6.3 magnitude earthquake hits Batangas

By Media Newser Philippines | Friday, August 11, 2017
Screenshot: CNN Philippines/ANC
A magnitude 6.3 earthquake shook some parts of Luzon Friday afternoon. According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHILVOCS), the epicenter of the quake was located in Nasugbu, Batangas.

Two of our local news channels, CNN Philippines and ABS-CBN News Channel, were the first to break the news at around 2PM, with Mai Rodriguez and Karmina Constantino conducting their respective phone patch interviews with PHILVOCS Senior Science Research Specialist Rhommel Prutas and Director Renato Solidum.

Charie Villa claims Comelec Chair Andres Bautista amassed 'ill-gotten wealth via election rigging'

By Media Newser Philippines | Tuesday, August 08, 2017
Photo: Manila Standard
Former ABS-CBN newser Charie Villa made a bold claim Monday, alleging that last year's election was rigged by embattled Commission on Elections Chair Andres Bautista.

In a post on her Facebook account, Villa claimed that the Comelec chief received commissions from Divina Law, the law firm that represented the Venezuelan voting technology company Smartmatic.

"So what does this make of the national elections in 2016? COMELEC Chief Andy Bautista received commissions from DIVINA Law office — the lawyer of SMARTMATIC?" Villa wrote, adding that its founder and managing partner Nilo Divina, the dean of University of Sto. Tomas Faculty of Civil Law, is also the lawyer of Liberal Party stalwart Mar Roxas.

Comelec Chair Andres Bautista denies corruption claims: 'In this situation, I am the victim'

By Media Newser Philippines | Monday, August 07, 2017
Screenshot: ANC/GMA-7
Answering questions about his alleged unexplained wealth, Commission on Elections Chair Andres Bautista made the rounds on TV Monday, categorically denying all the allegations made by his wife Patricia against him.

As filed by Mrs. Bautista in an affidavit dated August 1, the Comelec chief is said to have engaged in "misleading and corrupt practices while in government service," saying that he might have amassed nearly 1 billion pesos worth of ill-gotten wealth.

Appearing on GMA-7's Unang Hirit, Mr. Bautista told anchor Ivan Mayrina that these accusations may be motivated by money, saying that his wife has been trying to extort money from him.

Doris Bigornia to President Duterte: 'Sir, kailan ho uli may matutumba na mayor?'

By Media Newser Philippines | Sunday, August 06, 2017
Screenshot: PTV
President Rodrigo Duterte has had a very tense relationship with the media ever since he took over MalacaƱang in 2016. Oftentimes, the exchanges between him and the reporters who are covering his administration become front page news.

On Wednesday, Mr. Duterte once again faced the media as he attended the 113th anniversary celebration of the Bureau of Internal Revenue in Quezon City.

ABS-CBN News reporter Doris Bigornia, who was among those covering the event, took the opportunity to ask the president about the Parojinog case.

"Sir, dun sa Parojinog case, jina-justify niyo po ba 'yung sinasabi ng iba na overkill, masyadong OA 'yung ginawang operations?" Bigornia asked.